Three Common Causes Of Facial Aging
Even children can easily identify an older person in a crowd of younger adults, though they may not be able to explain specifically what makes the person look older. While some signs of aging are obvious – such as lines and wrinkles – it is often difficult to put your finger on what exactly makes a person’s face appear aged. In some cases, men and women may have an overall tired or worn-down look, which can be the result of sagging or drooping skin. For others, a loss of facial fat and volume may contribute to a more elderly appearance. In order to address the signs of aging and rejuvenate your face with cosmetic surgery, it is important to understand which features and characteristics are often associated with aging, as well as what causes them to develop.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Michael Hakimi has extensive experience in the most cutting-edge Beverly Hills, CA facelift procedures available, and is proud to help patients turn back the clock and feel youthful, attractive, and confident once again. Learn more about possible causes and risk factors for facial aging here, and find out what cosmetic treatments and procedures can help you restore a stunning look.
Why do I look older than I really am?
If you’re like most people, the earliest signs and symptoms of aging probably appeared on your face. For some men and women, lines and wrinkles on the face begin to develop in their 40s and 50s, though other patients start to notice aging facial skin as early as their late 20s and 30s. Depending on your lifestyle, skin type, genetics, and other factors, age-related skin concerns can progress rapidly or intensify gradually over time. Beyond obvious lines and wrinkles, however, there are other signs of aging that often contribute to an overall aged look. The three most common issues that contribute to an aging face are:
1. Skin damage: There are a number of behaviors and environmental factors that can damage the skin over time and speed up the aging process, though exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays is one of the most serious concerns. Sun damage can lead to lines, wrinkles, sun spots, hyperpigmentation, and more severe conditions, such as skin cancer.
2. Sagging skin: Over time, the skin naturally begins to lose its elasticity as the body’s natural supply of collagen and elastin diminishes. This causes the skin to begin sagging or drooping, worsening lines, wrinkles, and folds that are already present. In addition, the eyes, mouth, brow, jowls, and other features begin to descend, often resulting in a tired, aged, or even sad appearance.
3. Loss of volume: Another side effect of the aging process is “deflated” skin, or a loss of facial volume. As we age, the fat pads in our face begin to disappear, leaving us with hollow cheeks, sunken eyes, dark undereye circles, and other imperfections, all of which are hallmarks of an older face.
What is the best method of facial rejuvenation?
While there are a number of minimally invasive and nonsurgical treatments available for skin tightening and rejuvenation, the most dramatic full face transformation can, undoubtedly, be achieved with facelift surgery. In fact, many patients choose to combine nonsurgical cosmetic treatments, such as fat transfer and/or injectable dermal fillers and neurotoxins (like JUVÉDERM® and BOTOX®), with their facelift to further enhance their results. With multiple types of facelifts available in Beverly Hills, CA, Dr. Hakimi can target each patient’s specific concerns and help them reach their ideal outcome. Most often, one of the following facelift techniques is recommended:
- Full facelift: reserved for men and women with more advanced signs of aging across the entire face and neck
- Mid-facelift: focuses on the mouth, cheeks, and upper jaw area to reduce drooping
- Lower facelift: addresses concerns involving the lower portion of the face, including the jowls, jaw, and neck
- Mini facelift: involves smaller incisions to make subtle enhancements to the mouth and jawline with a less extensive recovery period
Turn back the clock and look up to ten years younger with facelift surgery in Beverly Hills, CA
Whether you are experiencing the frustrating signs and symptoms of premature aging or already have significantly sagging facial skin and loss of volume, cosmetic facelift, injectables, and additional complementary procedures may be right for you. If you are in the Beverly Hills area and are interested in learning more about the compelling benefits of facelift surgery, call our office to arrange a private consultation with renowned board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Michael Hakimi today. We look forward to helping you win the fight against aging with facelift surgery in Beverly Hills, CA!