Do Breasts Change Over Time After Breast Augmentation?
Some of the most important things to consider when making the decision to undergo cosmetic surgery include how long your results are expected to last, if/when you may need a revision procedure, and what changes may occur over time. For women thinking about getting breast implants, understanding the answers to these questions is particularly critical.
Renowned board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Michael Hakimi is proud to offer the most cutting-edge breast augmentation techniques available for women hoping to achieve or restore a more feminine, youthful, sexy figure in Beverly Hills, CA. Furthermore, Dr. Hakimi takes great care to ensure patients understand what to expect after breast augmentation, including how long their results may last and what they can do to maintain their new look for as long as possible.
What are my options for breast augmentation in Beverly Hills, CA?
Most often, breast augmentation involves the placement of either saline or silicone gel breast implants. Additionally, fat transfer to the breast and gummy bear implants may be considered. Some of the most notable aspects of each type of breast implant include:
- Saline implants: Saline breast implants are filled with a fluid saline solution that can be safely absorbed by the body in the event of implant rupture. Some patients report more noticeable rippling with saline implants. This is particularly true for thinner women or those without a great deal of natural breast tissue.
- Silicone gel implants: Silicone implants are filled with a gel-like substance and are often considered to look and feel more natural than saline implants. However, silicone breast implants are only approved for women over the age of 22.
- Gummy bear implant: These implants are also composed of a gel-like material. Unlike saline and silicone implants, however, gummy bear implants are form stable and retain their teardrop shape.
- Fat transfer to breast: For women looking for a more natural alternative to breast implants, fat transfer to the breast can be a fantastic option. Because no synthetic foreign bodies are involved, the risk of adverse reaction or complication with fat transfer is exceptionally low. Additionally, fat transfer to the breast is often considered the best option for patients seeking the most natural look and feel. Patients should understand that there is a limit to the amount of fat that can be harvested and transferred, however, meaning women desiring a significant size increase may be better suited to breast augmentation with implants.
During your initial consultation for Beverly Hills breast augmentation, Dr. Hakimi will discuss your concerns and ideal outcome, examine your breasts, and explain all of your breast implant options at length to help determine the most appropriate course of action for you.
How long do breast implants last?
Breast implants themselves should retain their volume, shape, and other characteristics for many, many years, though they are not designed to be lifelong devices. Virtually all women who undergo breast augmentation will require implant replacement at some point in the future, though it may be 10 – 15 years or longer before this is required. Some of the most common reasons for breast implant replacement before this time include:
- Implant rupture
- Implant displacement
- Leaking breast implant
- Capsular contracture
- Implant malfunction
- Change in personal preference
- Breast implant illness
What will happen to my breast augmentation results over time?
It is important for patients to have realistic expectations for their breast augmentation results and understand that cosmetic surgery cannot stop the aging process completely. While your breast implants themselves may remain intact and functional for a decade or more, your cosmetic results will likely change as a result of aging, pregnancy, gaining weight after breast augmentation, and other factors.
Oftentimes, women notice that their breast implants have begun to droop or sag over time. This natural side effect of aging occurs in women without breast implants as well and is caused by a loss of skin elasticity, among other things. For these women, a breast lift can be a highly effective solution for raising the breasts to a more appealing position on the chest and restoring a perkier, more youthful figure once again.
To help preserve breast augmentation results for as long as possible, patients should:
- Maintain a healthy, stable weight
- Defer breast augmentation until you are done having children
- Wear supportive bras, especially when exercising or engaging in high-impact activities
- Not smoke
- Keep the skin moisturized
- Avoid sun exposure/sun damage
- Wear sunscreen
Get the sexy, feminine body of your dreams, and enjoy your results for years to come with breast augmentation in Beverly Hills, CA
Age, pregnancy, and life itself can certainly take a toll on a woman’s body and self-esteem. Fortunately, cosmetic surgery offers women the life-changing opportunity to restore a more youthful, sexy figure that they can once again feel confident about. To learn more about Beverly Hills breast augmentation, including how long you can expect your results to last, call our knowledgeable team to schedule your private in-office or virtual consultation with award-winning board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Michael Hakimi today. We look forward to giving you the stunning physique you deserve with breast augmentation in Beverly Hills!